|Jimmy Van M
|Balance celebrates its milestone tenth release with Jimmy Van M’s epic 3-disc compilation Balance 010 on EQ Recordings. Jimmy Van M’s reputation was shaped by his pioneering work for Balance Promote Group, his pivotal role and involvement in the Delta Heavy tour with Sasha & John Digweed, and his career-defining Bedrock compilation (2001).
His smooth mixing style, creative programming and talent for production have placed him among the elite of today’s DJs. Balance 010 is an astounding compilation that takes the listener on a well-crafted journey through the best of electronic music, exploring genres ranging from Downtempo to Minimal Techno, Ambient and Progressive.
Similar to the “Back to Mine” series designed for the morning after chill-out session, Van M’s first two mixes can be admired for their intuitive selection of musical gems. The third mix is a heart-stopper. Balance 010 as a 3xCD package is a must-have that will set the bar for DJs and music lovers alike – Jimmy Van M has arrived and is ready for global status.
Balance 010 shows Van M at his finest and most creative as he crosses the borders of every genre and produces an eclectic collection of Ambient/Downtempo, Trip-Hop, Techno and Progressive. Disc 1 (Downtempo) is an ambient mix of melodic tracks which includes the haunting beauty of Bill Laswell’s “Ethiopia”, the atmospheric strings of Future Sound of London’s “Study of Six Guitars”, the euphoric sweetness of Boards of Canada’s “Everything You is a Balloon” and Coldcut’s melancholic “Autumn Leaves”.
The mix also features tracks by Brian Eno, Laika, Autechre, Anoushka Shankar, Depeche Mode, Union Jack, and Bonobo. Disc 2 (Midtempo) skilfully weaves a variety of acoustic and trip-hop music, including Miles Tilmann’s “Floating Windows”, the whispy vocals of Steve T’s “How Are You?” and Cocteau Twins’ “Blue Bell Knoll”, the minimal genius of Adam Johnson’s “Kriegspiel”, and the atmospheric beauty of Peter Benisch’s “The Desert White” and Aphex Twin’s “Delphium”.
It also features Speedy J, LCD Soundsystem, Saint-Etienne, I:Cube and Brandi Ifgray. Disc 3 (Uptempo) is a dark journey into the realm of acid and minimal Techno, a club mix filled with razor-sharp grooves and penetrating beats. Djuma Soundsystem’s “Les Djinns” opens the mix and sets the tone for Solieb’s blippy minimal “Integrale”, San Lebowski’s “The Reducer 2” and the hypnotic Tech-House perfection of Tom Pooks, Ellen Allien & Apparat, Jordano, Acid Test, 16 Bit Lolitas, DJ T & Booka Shade.
While compiling Balance 010, Van M was inspired by electronic music of both the past and present. His foray into such a distinctive and varied assembly of music was thanks to his personal repertoire and a love of all forms of music.
“This compilation was 15 years in the making, it offers different shades of music. The first 2 CDs are downtempo mixes that expose a different side of me as a DJ. It took 3 months of digging through my old CD collection, finding the faves, and shaping it into something meaningful. CD 3 is the music that I’m playing in the clubs right now," says Van M. He continues on to say, “my hope is that people will listen to this music for a long time. It’s not just one style, and was ultimately created for the audience in pursuit of quality. Hopefully it will touch everyone.”
BALANCE 010 TRACKLISTING
Disc 1: Downtempo Mix
1. Bill Laswell - 'Ethiopia'
2. Bill Laswell - 'Babylon Ghost'
3. Future Sound of London - 'Study of Six Guitars'
4. Laika - 'Coming Down Glass'
5. Coldcut - 'Autumn Leaves'
6. Union Jack – 'Water Drums'
7. Casino vs. Japan – 'Slo Bid Bellwave'
8. Nathan Fake – 'Falmer'
9. Boards of Canada – 'Dayvan Cowboy'
10. Anoushka Shankar – 'Beloved (Thievery Corporation remix)'
11. Wax Poetic feat. Norah Jones – 'Angels (Thievery Corporation remix)'
12. Autechre – 'Nine'
13. Boards of Canada – 'Everything You is a Balloon'
14. Brian Eno & J. Peter Schwalm – 'Rising Dust'
15. Depeche Mode – 'Halo (Goldfrapp remix)'
16. The Egg – 'Walking Away'
17. Bonobo – 'Everything You Do'
Disc 2: Midtempo Mix
1. Miles Tilmann – 'Floating Windows'
2. Miles Tilmann – 'Minutes'
3. Steve T – 'How Are You?'
4. Cocteau Twins – 'Blue Bell Knoll'
5. Speedy J – 'Oil Zone'
6. Adam Johnson – 'Kriegspiel'
7. Adam Johnson – 'Version 2'
8. Ellen Allien & Apparat – 'Bubbles'
9. Boards of Canada – 'Skyliner'
10. Peter Benisch – 'The Desert White (Joel Mull mix)'
11. Babel – 'X-Equals'
12. Aphex Twin – 'Delphium'
13. Brandi Ifgray – 'Mono'
14. I:Cube – 'Cash Conv.'
15. LCD Soundsystem – 'Too Much Love (Rub-n-Tug mix)'
16. Saint Etienne – 'Cool Kids of Death (Underworld remix)'
Disc 3: Uptempo Mix
1. Djuma Soundsystem – 'Les Djinns (Trentemøller remix)'
2. Djuma Soundsystem – 'Les Djinns (Def Jaguar remix)'
3. Solieb – 'Integrale'
4. Ellen Allien & Apparat- 'Jet'
5. San Lebowski – 'The Reducer 2'
6. Jordano – 'No Gravity'
7. Tom Pooks – 'Docker'
8. Acid Test – 'Test One'
9. 16 Bit Lolitas feat. Jennifer Horne – 'Ask Why (JVM Gold mix)'
10. DJ T & Booka Shade – 'Played Runner'
11. Hug – 'The Chopper'
12. Loafer – 'Dirt Bike (16 Bit Lolitas mix)'
13. Gui Boratto – 'Like You (Supermayer mix)'
For more information please visit www.jimmyvanm.com
A unique boutique